Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Cristiano Ronaldo takes a swipe at critics says "You're just jealous that I'm still the No 1!"

                      Cristiano Ronaldo acknowledges supporters during Real Madrid's celebrations for their Champions League win at the Santiago Bernabeu

Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted he remains at the peak of his powers, claiming that jealousy is the only reason anyone would not be happy for his third Champions League triumph.


The three-time Ballon d’Or winner failed to hit the heights Real Madrid - who paraded the trophy at the Santiago Bernabeu on Sunday night - have become accustomed to during an attritional Champions League final against Atletico Madrid in the San Siro, but still had the final kick of the game.

                    Ronaldo leads the Madrid players as they basked in their success in front of a full crowd at the famous stadium on Sunday evening

Ronaldo was poor for much of the 120 minutes, missing a clear-cut headed chance as well as a one-on-one, but took responsibility of converting the match-winning penalty in the shootout and afterwards rejected suggestions that his age, 31, may be creeping up on him. 

He said: ‘This season I was the No 1 in the team, again, for most minutes. I have more than 4,000. That means a lot to me. It means I am still good, I still feel good physically, mentally. I was the top scorer in this competition again (with 16 goals).

                    Ronaldo says his home nation would feel proud of his club success as ‘the only Portuguese to win the Champions League three times'

‘If you ask me if I feel tired now, of course, I have a lot of minutes in the legs. But I am still there, I am always there. I showed the team I am there for the good moments and bad moments. This is what makes me feel proud.

‘My performance (in the final) is maybe not the best one but who played unbelievable? No one. So it’s tough, it’s the end of the season, you don’t have power in the legs that you have in the beginning of the season, but I did my best. I ran and we won. That is the most important.

‘To win my third Champions League is unbelievable.’

Ronaldo, who has two years left on his current contract, last week said Real would be making a ‘smart decision’ by offering him a new deal and made it clear he feels he has plenty more seasons in the tank. 

Asked if he still has personal goals, he replied: ‘It is what it is, six years when I’m scoring more than 50 goals, but I am asking more. I am always in the top level. I just want to maintain. I still feel fresh and I want to carry on like that. I love to play for Real Madrid. I want to carry on.’

banner
Previous Post
Next Post

1 comment:

  1. I believe taking time to watch his video clips at man u would really help him in his career presently... #BlissMe

    ReplyDelete